Frequently Asked Questions
What is CPK?
- College Partnership for Kids is a tutoring program between students of the College of William & Mary and local Williamsburg-James City and York County public schools. The partnership provides assistance to children in the community through student volunteers.
- CPK provides transportation, which allows all students the opportunity to volunteer.
- Some of our programs in local schools focus on one-on-one sessions with students while others work with small groups. The children and student volunteers often develop a strong relationship. Developing a friendship with the student you mentor plays a great part in improving the child’s self-esteem; this improved self-image can have positive effects on the child’s academic achievement and efforts.
- On average, 150 students tutor at 9 local schools. William & Mary students contribute approximately 300 hours of community service each week.
- Tutors are needed in the areas of math, science, reading, writing, spelling, and special education--other specialties are always welcomed.
- We ask tutors to commit to 2 hours of tutoring on the same day and at the same time each week. This two hour timeslot includes transportation to and from the school.
- This varies semester to semester based on the needs of our community partners. We ask that you fill out the times that work best for your schedule in the survey so that we can match your schedule with the needs the local school system.